Going against the culture
This is the end of my rant. I do think that there is still an important place for going against the culture. It is important to recognise all the things I've listed (insofar as I'm right – please comment and let me know!). It is important to cater for all those things.
But it is also important to figure out the best way to communicate, and to gradually teach people. This is especially important for students, who are learning how to be adults and use new communication in adult ways.
Correct wrong ways of using new communication
Just because 'the kids are doing it that way' doesn't mean it's inevitable. In fact sometimes older people know how to use new communication better than students. Correct that. Most of the time, older people know how to use it better. Some examples:
- Serious and personal things should be done face to face or on the phone. Don't break up with someone on SMS. Don't rebuke or complain on email.
- Private things should be done in private, not on a Facebook wall.
Teach better ways of using new communication
I reckon it's worth teaching students better habits:
- Reduce inputs by processing all messages through on inbox (ie get Facebook email notifications through your email and so abolish needing to check two inboxes)
- Teach the habit of getting inbox to zero.
- Teach them how to use phonecalls and how to talk face to face.
- Teach them how to promote stuff effectively and cooperatively on Facebook.
Ok that's enough. Thanks for listening! Please please please follow this up with comments. I'd really love to hear your thoughts, advice, observations, disagreements.